Application Associates Don't Open

Started by Olturot, November 12, 2010, 09:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olturot

This is a continuation of the thread, "Does Not Encrypt New Folders" but with a different problem. Thanks for your previous help!

After I reinstalled the Mac OSX (Snow Leopard) in order to get the missing apps, iphoto, ichat and isync, the problem of not encrypting folders  and using the templates is corrected.  I also updated the system again using the Snow Leopard Combo Update. Then rechecked with the update feature. However what I am experiencing now is this.

I used the template to encrypt Mail. I then opened up mail and it worked properly, asking me for a password and then continued to open OK.

1.  I then encrypted AddressBook and iCal using the template, using the same password. Mail now would lock and not open. Espionage would not respond and i needed to Force Quit.  I added Addressbook and iCal to the Applications Association box for Mail. I highlighted each one and made sure the checkmarks were checked for Lock on Quit and Launch at Login.  I also tried unchecking the Launch at Login but still no different response. Mail would still lock Espionage and not open.  I then unencrypted (removed) both iCal and Addressbook folders and Mail was by it self and it opened OK again.  I then encrypted and added just Addressbook, added the Application to the Association box and checked the two checkmarks as well as tried just the Locks on Quit.  Mail once again locked and failed to open.  The autounlock at Login on the main window is also unchecked on all the apps.  I reinstalled v2.8.3 that I still had a copy of to see if it worked properly.  However I am still looking at the same scenario.  At this point I can encrypt Mail by itself but leave Addressbook and iCal un-encrypted and Mail will work OK.  Any new ideas?  Am I just not setting something right or did I also uninstall some other program that was needed?

2.  Now I have never seen the SyncServices encrypted folder before. I was using (v2.8.3) before.  Maybe it was a change from the version I had before. Is that just something new included in the update that you sent me? (v.2.8.8a)

3.  In the preferences under General, what is the Path Finder Compatibility Mode check mark about?  I am unable to locate the explanation to that.

Thanks,
Chuck

greg

Quote from: "Olturot"Mail once again locked and failed to open.  The autounlock at Login on the main window is also unchecked on all the apps.  I reinstalled v2.8.3 that I still had a copy of to see if it worked properly.  However I am still looking at the same scenario.  At this point I can encrypt Mail by itself but leave Addressbook and iCal un-encrypted and Mail will work OK.  Any new ideas?  Am I just not setting something right or did I also uninstall some other program that was needed?

We strongly recommend against downgrading to previous versions of Espionage, as that could cause all sorts of problems. Please update to the latest version of Espionage.

If you would like, we can setup an iChat screensharing session, please contact us via email for that (see the link at the bottom of the support page).

Quote2.  Now I have never seen the SyncServices encrypted folder before. I was using (v2.8.3) before.  Maybe it was a change from the version I had before. Is that just something new included in the update that you sent me? (v.2.8.8a)

The SyncServices folder needs to be encrypted if you're going to encrypt Mail, Address Book, or iCal. This was added in 2.8.5.

Quote3.  In the preferences under General, what is the Path Finder Compatibility Mode check mark about?  I am unable to locate the explanation to that.

If you don't use Path Finder then that should remain unchecked.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!