Cannot restore folders from Espionage's backups

Started by titomaximo, March 22, 2011, 02:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titomaximo

I accidentally deleted my files, happily i made a backup of my files with Espionage 2.8.7 (Mac 10.6.7).
So i tried to restore them. Two of my folders were restored correctly.
But the third is making trouble. I think i tried almost everything.

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... iltin.html
Couldnt help me.

When i open the folder in the finder it shows: 131 kb.
When i copy the folder, it suddenly shows 7 GB.
So is the sparsebundle still ok? Will i be able to restore it? And how?  :roll:
Which additional information do you need?

Here is my log:
[Update: Uploaded logs and screenshots here]

Thank you very much in advance!

greg

Hi titomaximo,

Thank you for that very detailed post. I had a look at all the files you linked to, and your screencast does show that you followed the right steps to restore the folder from backups.

When you unlocked the folder, Espionage said that it failed to mount, so I had a look at the log that you provided and saw this error message:

Mar 22 22:43:40 noname [0x0-0x131131].com.taoeffect.Espionage[2097]: hdiutil: attach failed - Keine aktivierbaren Dateisysteme
According to Google Translate, that says "No file system can be activated", which is an error that's given if the disk image is corrupt, so it sounds like 2 of your backups were fine, but that last one got corrupted somehow.  :|

Do you happen to use any additional backup methods? We recommend using at least two (for example, Espionage + Time Machine). If you use other backup methods you can follow the suggestions in Espionage's documentation to try to restore that last folder from the other backup method, but otherwise I'm personally not aware of anything that can be done to fix the corruption.

I wish I could be of more help than this, but that is all I can see that can be done here.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

titomaximo

What a ... shame! Please notify me if there is any chance to repair a corrupted file!  :roll:

Thank you for your time!  ;)

greg

Quote from: "titomaximo"What a ... shame! Please notify me if there is any chance to repair a corrupted file!  :roll:

I did a quick google search for "repair corrupt disk image" and found some links.

You may want to look over all of them, but one of the first results suggests (in the comments) that DiskWarrier version 4 or later can repair them. I haven't tried this myself so I can't be sure, but if these files are really important it may be worth a shot.

QuoteThank you for your time!  ;)

Of course, we're here to help!

titomaximo

Ok... tried this too... without succes/understanding! Tried many terminal-commands and vfdecrypt but dont really know what i am actually doing (made a backup of my corrupted image)
The problem is that the image cant be mounted so it doesnt even appears to repair it with diskwarrior! Any ideas?
I will ask my school-mac-administrator later this day, maybe she has time and the right utilities to repair this?!

titomaximo

Its unbelievable! I dont know how i did it and how, but i did it! Doesn't matters anymore!
Here is my solution:

I wrote some lines in Terminal:
See post below.

Then i opened disk utilities and saw a image that wasn't there before:
Then i selected and activated the image > clicked on "open/show in Finder". And there it was! all my files were available without errors!
Screenshot, see below.

From now on i will be using Espionages Backup AND Time Machine!
Thank you very much! Without your google-search-keywords I wouldn't have come to this "solution"!

With best regards
Tito,
Berlin, Germany

greg

Quote from: "titomaximo"Its unbelievable! I dont know how i did it and how, but i did it! Doesn't matters anymore!
Here is my solution:

Awesome! I'm not sure exactly what happened, it may be that the disk image was already mounted somehow, and that when you added it to Espionage, which attempted to mount an already mounted disk image it gave that error (I'm used to seeing the English versions of the errors, so these German ones confuse me  ;)). Or, your mounting it with the -nomount option via the terminal might have somehow magically done the trick (although I'm not sure why that would work...).

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you were able to recover all your data, and some of the steps you tried may come in handy for someone else in a similar situation.

QuotePS: What about the uploaded documents on dropbox? I would like to delete them, but then others wont be able to see them. So what can we do?

I'm not sure what you mean, what would you like to do, and with what documents?

titomaximo

PS: What about the uploaded documents on dropbox? I would like to delete them, but then others wont be able to see them. So what can we do?
Update: I mean my screenshots and the 2 screen-videos.

mike

Quote from: "titomaximo"PS: What about the uploaded documents on dropbox? I would like to delete them, but then others wont be able to see them. So what can we do?
Update: I mean my screenshots and the 2 screen-videos.

Hi Tito, you can delete them if you want to. You can upload one or two files as an attachment to the post instead of hosting them on Dropbox.com. When you edit the original post in this forum to remove the links, you can upload the files there. It'd be nice if you share some lines from the log file inside the post instead of an uploaded file, so that others can search for that error via the forum's search engine (which doesn't search the file attachments).
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

titomaximo

LOG:

Mar 22 22:42:42 noname /Users/Tito/Downloads/Espionage.app/Contents/MacOS/Espionage[2097]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:42:42: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Mar 22 22:42:42 noname [0x0-0x132132].com.apple.systemevents[2100]: com.apple.FolderActions.enabled: Already loaded
Mar 22 22:42:43 noname /Users/Tito/Downloads/Espionage.app/Contents/MacOS/Espionage[2097]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:42:49: --- last message repeated 9 times ---
Mar 22 22:42:49 noname Finder[1254]: CFUserNotificationDisplayAlert:  called from main application thread, will block waiting for a response.
Mar 22 22:42:52 noname /usr/bin/codesign[2110]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:42:53: --- last message repeated 6 times ---
Mar 22 22:42:53 noname /usr/bin/codesign[2111]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:42:57: --- last message repeated 6 times ---
Mar 22 22:42:57 noname /usr/bin/codesign[2120]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:42:57: --- last message repeated 6 times ---
Mar 22 22:42:57 noname /usr/bin/codesign[2121]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:43:36: --- last message repeated 6 times ---
Mar 22 22:43:36 noname /usr/bin/hdiutil[2126]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:43:36: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 22 22:43:36 noname Espionage[2097]: INFO: got encryption type: AES-128
Mar 22 22:43:36 noname diskimages-helper[2129]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:43:36: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 22 22:43:36 noname diskarbitrationd[13]: unable to probe /dev/disk2 (status code 0xFFFFFFFC).
Mar 22 22:43:37: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 22 22:43:37 noname hdiejectd[2137]: running
Mar 22 22:43:38 noname [0x0-0x131131].com.taoeffect.Espionage[2097]: hdiutil: attach failed - Keine aktivierbaren Dateisysteme
Mar 22 22:43:38 noname Espionage[2097]: WARN (mountImageForRecordWithPassword:668): failed once to attach image (1): /Users/Tito/Desktop/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle
Mar 22 22:43:39 noname diskimages-helper[2142]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:43:39: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 22 22:43:39 noname diskarbitrationd[13]: unable to probe /dev/disk2 (status code 0xFFFFFFFC).
Mar 22 22:43:40: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 22 22:43:40 noname [0x0-0x131131].com.taoeffect.Espionage[2097]: hdiutil: attach failed - Keine aktivierbaren Dateisysteme
Mar 22 22:43:40 noname Espionage[2097]: WARN (mountImageForRecordWithPassword:668): failed once to attach image (1): /Users/Tito/Desktop/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle
Mar 22 22:43:41 noname Espionage[2097]: ERROR (mountImageForRecordWithPassword:674): failed twice attaching image (1): /Users/Tito/Desktop/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle
Mar 22 22:43:42 noname Espionage[2097]: INFO: Posted critical message: Failed to mount image for 'Dokumente Tito'nCheck the log (see Espionage Help menu) for more info.
Mar 22 22:43:44 noname /Users/Tito/Downloads/Espionage.app/Contents/MacOS/Espionage[2097]: MDS Error: unable to create user DBs in /var/folders/k4/k4HTGg-rGt01UbdJBmYVr++++TI/-Caches-//mds
Mar 22 22:43:49: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 22 22:43:49 noname hdiejectd[2137]: quitCheck: calling exit(0)

mike

Hi Tito, thanks for the new post with the information. I updated your original post to link to the new post.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

greg

You're probably aware of this as you had it correct the first time, but I just want to emphasize that the last command in your screenshot that gave an error is incorrect:

hdiutil attach -/Users/Tito/Documents/Dokumente Tito/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle mount -readwrite
You had it correct the first time, it should be:

hdiutil attach -nomount /Users/Tito/Documents/Dokumente Tito/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle
For those who don't know, the backslashes are there to indicate that the path is all "one string" and not multiple arguments, as arguments are separated by spaces. You can also get rid of the backslashes by putting the path in quotes:

hdiutil attach -nomount "/Users/Tito/Documents/Dokumente Tito/.Dokumente Tito.sparsebundle"