Locked files are not found in Espionage

Started by vishnu4net, January 05, 2013, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vishnu4net

Hi team,

Am using Espionage on my MAC OS X 10.8
I was having around 5 GB data locked in espionage
it was working fine, suddenly there some profile issues in my mac & my profile settings got crashed,
like my wallpaper, screen saver, including chrome setup & other customized options was set to default
i tried to set up all my apps , wen i started espionage, it started like a fresh copy & asked me to setup my password & use like a new user.
i setted up the same password i used earlier. but i dont see my old files & folder contents in espionage now.
neither i see it in the contents of my folder, it just shows empty,
pls suggest me how to get my files back

-
Vishnu

zsolt

Hello Vishnu,

Espionage 2 keeps the critical data in two places:
- the settings, keychain and database are in your home folder/Library/Application Support/Espionage. When the app starts like for the first time, it usually means that this folder was not found. Pls check if you can restore this folder from some of your backups.
- the second place is each protected folder. When the folders are locked, the encrypted (hidden) disk image which holds your data is inside the protected folder.
now, when these folders are not under Espionage control, when you click on them, you should see 3 folders named "do not modify the content...."
To bring them back to Espionage, just drag the folder onto Espionage main window, it will recognize it, and ask you for the folder password, enter it and the folder should be added to Espionage, after that you should be able to unlock it.

Let me know if it worked,

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

vishnu4net

Thanks for ur reply Zsolt.
But still am unable to find my files.
Right now, I have my espionage completely setup, but i dont see the espionage folder in /Library/Application Support/Espionage.
The second option u said, protected folder, i believe its the same folder i initially had locked in espionage.
Wen i open that folder, i dont see any contents in it. Folder size is just 1.5 MB but actually it had 5GB files.
Pls help

zsolt

Hello, it is not the /Library/Application Support/Espionage but the "home folder/Library/Application Support/Espionage", i.e. your personal Library not the one shared by all users.
You say that when you enter into the protected folder you see no contents, but do you see 3 folders named "this folder contains encrypted data...", if so, then dragging the folder over to Espionage window should make Espionage ask for folder password and once entered it should add it to Espionage.
The data is stored inside a hidden disk image in the protected folder, if you want to see it, download this utility:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible
launch it, click on make "files visible" and then revisit the folder, you should see now a disk image named same as the folder, just with a dot at the beginning of the name.
If adding the folder does not work for you, you can try to doubleclick the disk image it will open, and ask you for password, once entered it will mount like an external USB stick, for example, then you can access your data directly through finder.
Let me know which part worked for you, if any.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

vishnu4net

Hi Zsolt,

I went to my home folder/Library/Application Support/
I dint have the folder name as Espionage, rather i had it as "com.taoeffect.Espionage3"
I used ivisible & made all files visible.
I went to my folder which was protected by espionage earlier,
I had only 2 files in it, "Icon" & ".DS_Store"
I double clicked on both, & mac said there is no application to open this type of file.
am not sure wat went wrong actually.

zsolt

I'm also not sure what went wrong, but now the first thing is to somehow get access to your data.

Please open terminal and run the following command:

sudo find / -name *.sparsebundle -print

hit enter, this will first ask you for your account password, just write it (you will see no characters being typed, that is OK) and hit enter again
now your local disk will be searched for all the sparsebundle disk images, I hope we find it.

Once found, copy the path to it including the name of the disk image and then write

open "copiedpath"

and hit enter, this should open the disk image and ask you for password, if all goes OK then it will mount the disk image like an external USB stick.

Let me know if this worked.

Rgds
Zsolt

vishnu4net

Bad luck Zsolt.
Here is the result

VishnuPrabus-MacBook-Pro:~ vishnuprabhu$ sudo find / -name *.sparsebundle -print

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
find: /dev/fd/3: Not a directory
find: /dev/fd/4: Not a directory
VishnuPrabus-MacBook-Pro:~ vishnuprabhu$

Pls suggest.

-
Vishnu

zsolt

Hello, if there are not sparsebundles then there is nothing we can do as it is them containing the data.
Do you have any backups maybe?

rgds
Zsolt