Unlock from Global Menu not working

Started by nomolo, August 26, 2010, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomolo

I'm finding that selecting "Unlock" from the Global Menu (for a locked folder) doesn't produce the password prompt. Instead, it seems to be triggering "Go To Folder" - it opens the encrypted folder (though with 0 items showing). The "Lock" function on the Global Menu works fine.

I seem to have had this problem for at least several weeks. Its not too serious, since I can of course unlock from the main Espionage window. I've tried trashing Espionage preferences. I'm using 10.6.3 and Espionage 2.8.4.

Any idea what I should do?

Thanks!

greg

That can happen for a variety of reasons, so check to make sure:

• The Enabled checkbox for the folder is checked in Espionage.
  • The Finder is not on Espionage's Ignore List (this means it is neither whitelisted nor blacklisted, as explained in that link).
  • Make sure no Finder windows are already open and pointing to that folder.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

nomolo

Many thanks Greg, that was it - the Finder was blacklisted!

lordthistle

I have the same problem. A folder (actually the only folder under Espionage control), which is currently locked, does not trigger Espionage password request.

Basically, if I click on this folder in the Finder, I can see the three folders with names "This folder contains encrypted data ..."

If I click on Espionage menu bar item, select the locked folder and then Unlock", the Finder window is open but, again, I see only "This folder contains..." with no password request.

However, the Finder  **IS NOT** in the Ignore List, which is actually empty.

I am sure I did not perform any illegal operation on that folder. So.. what's happened to my data?

Regards,
 thistle

greg

Quote from: "lordthistle"I am sure I did not perform any illegal operation on that folder. So.. what's happened to my data?

Your data is most likely fine, try unlocking the folder from within Espionage using the "Locked" checkbox.

As for why you're not getting the password prompt, beyond checking the 3 things mentioned above, I'm not sure what else to check. You might want to try uninstalling Espionage using its built-in uninstaller (but uncheck the checkbox that says "Restore encrypted folders"), and then re-installing it.

lordthistle

Quote from: "greg"Your data is most likely fine, try unlocking the folder from within Espionage using the "Locked" checkbox.

If I open Espionage and uncheck the "Locked" checkbox, the folder is finally decrypted. If I lock it again, there is still the same problem as before: accesses from the Finder are ignored and do not trigger Espionage.

Thanks.

greg

Quote from: "lordthistle"If I open Espionage and uncheck the "Locked" checkbox, the folder is finally decrypted. If I lock it again, there is still the same problem as before: accesses from the Finder are ignored and do not trigger Espionage.

I am not sure why you're not getting the password prompt. Has it ever worked properly?

The only reasons we're aware of this issue occurring are addressed by the 3 points above (folder is disabled, Finder's on the ignore list, or if there's a Finder window pointing inside the locked folder already). The only thing I can think of left to try is to attempt to re-install Espionage (use its built-in uninstaller from the Espionage menu, and uncheck the "restore encrypted folders" checkbox. Then uninstall and re-install by redownloading Espionage from our site).

If that doesn't help consider whether there is some software conflict between Espionage and another application that may be causing the problem.

lordthistle

Quote from: "greg"I am not sure why you're not getting the password prompt. Has it ever worked properly?
Yes, it did. There was a time I used to get password prompts.

Quote from: "greg"[...] Then uninstall and re-install by redownloading Espionage from our site). If that doesn't help consider whether there is some software conflict between Espionage and another application that may be causing the problem.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the application following the procedure above. Before the installation I closed every other application might have accessed that folder.

But Nothing changed: the new installation recognized the existence of an Espionage-protected folder, but there are no password prompts when accessing the folder via the Finder.

I cannot really imagine which other app might conflict with Espionage. I do not have any other encryption service or "folder-watchers" applications.

If you think I might send you additional information for solving this problem, I will gladly prepare the files you request.

These are some lines in the iSpy logs (/Library/Logs/ispyd.log):

Dec 10 09:52:38 [ispyd] ERROR (289): kevent: Interrupted system call
Dec 10 09:52:39 [ispyd] ERROR (566): getting data: Bad file descriptor
Dec 10 09:52:39 [ispyd] WARNING (431): KEXTComm: corrupt message?
(kernel) Kext unloading is disabled (com.taoeffect.ispy.kext).
Failed to unload com.taoeffect.ispy.kext - (libkern/kext) function disabled.
Dec 12 11:03:36 [ispyd] ERROR (289): kevent: Interrupted system call
Dec 12 11:03:36 [ispyd] ERROR (566): getting data: Bad file descriptor
Dec 12 11:03:36 [ispyd] WARNING (431): KEXTComm: corrupt message?

Regards,
 thistle

greg

Quote from: "lordthistle"
Quote from: "greg"I am not sure why you're not getting the password prompt. Has it ever worked properly?
Yes, it did. There was a time I used to get password prompts.

Something probably changed on your system then that is now causing this issue, see if you can think of what that might have been based on the timing of when this problem showed up.

Also, try restarting your computer. After your restart, double-click on one of the locked, enabled folders, and if the prompt doesn't appear, then immediately download and run this diagnostic tool (so that it can capture any relevant info from the system log before it gets archived). In the report, please don't forget to mention this thread (you can link to it, for example).

mgns

Hi greg,

I have the same problem as lordthistle and it's been bugging me ever since autumn of last year, too. I checked the three possible solutions and nothing worked, the Finder wasn't on the blacklist.

Apps that I use include 1Password and LittleSnitch, both of which I don't think are the main cause of this problem.

Strangely, of my six ecrypted folders and Apps only Firefox and Chrome are not working properly. I have to unlock them manually via Espionage, not by launching the app.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

zsolt

Hello mgns,
I took over support from Greg.
This thread is about global menu not working, and it seems that your problem is that the folders are not automatically unlocking when you start the application (Firefox and Chrome).
So please clarify, what is exactly your problem?
And if it is the later one, do you have any other folder with application association which works fine?
Are the Firefox and Chrome in the application association of the respective folder?
If yes, can you please first remove them, save the changes, and the add them again, then test if it helped.

Cheers,
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support