Espionage and the Time Maschine problem

Started by dada, February 27, 2010, 01:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dada

Hello,

I think Espionage is a good program, but im am a bit disappointed, that there are these problems with time maschine, despite the sparse-bundle images are really useful for the backups.

Therefore i want to ask: It is somehow possible to prevent these moving of the images every time?
I fully understand, that the behaviour now is really staightforward when copying oder backuping the encrypted folders in the locked state.

But e.g. when i encrypt my Mail folder in Application Support, i do'nt really care, if the image is saved in the Mail folder in the locked state, or remains in the parent folder.

Perhaps it is possible to include this behaviour as an option in a newer version?
Because then Time Maschine can backup the encrypted disk image and when the folder is unlocked, Time Maschine only backups an alias and not the decrypted data itself (as far as i have tested).

What do you mean about that idea?

greg

Quote from: "dada"Because then Time Maschine can backup the encrypted disk image and when the folder is unlocked, Time Maschine only backups an alias and not the decrypted data itself (as far as i have tested).

Actually, Time Machine will backup the data (encrypted) whether the folder is locked or unlocked. When the folder is unlocked, the hidden disk image is in the parent folder, and Time Machine will back that up.

For more information, please see this tip on ensuring optimal Time Machine backups.

QuotePerhaps it is possible to include this behaviour as an option in a newer version?

Do you mean prevent Espionage from moving the disk image? This is something that may be possible (I'm not sure), but it would require completely changing how Espionage works, and it would have several disadvantages over the current behavior. In short, it may be possible, but the only alternative has some serious disadvantages, and it would require rewriting much of Espionage, so it's unlikely to happen.

Take a look at the link I mentioned though, it should address some of your concerns, also, this help document.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

dada

Quote from: "greg"Actually, Time Machine will backup the data (encrypted) whether the folder is locked or unlocked. When the folder is unlocked, the hidden disk image is in the parent folder, and Time Machine will back that up.

Yes, you are right. And exactly that possible double backup is bothered by me.

Quote from: "greg"For more information, please see this tip on ensuring optimal Time Machine backups.

Yes, I have already read this document, but i really like that time maschine is a version-based backup, and it would be nice to also use it with the Espionage images.

Quote from: "greg"Do you mean prevent Espionage from moving the disk image? This is something that may be possible (I'm not sure), but it would require completely changing how Espionage works, and it would have several disadvantages over the current behavior. In short, it may be possible, but the only alternative has some serious disadvantages, and it would require rewriting much of Espionage, so it's unlikely to happen.

Yes, I fully undestand, that this step would imply a rather drastically change to the current product.

What I am concerned about is a complete restore of all my backups, when my complete hard disk is crashed:
The most files can be restored via time maschine but when I have excluded the disk images and folders, I have to manually restore every single disk image out of the backup folder of Espionage (as far as i have understand). And that can be a very annoying job, expecially when i have used many program templates. I need to manually find the right folder both in the backup structure, and also at the target volume......

Therefore another suggestion: Perhaps you could consider to write an automatic backup-restore. I think that would simplify the above steps a lot.

greg

Quote from: "dada"Therefore another suggestion: Perhaps you could consider to write an automatic backup-restore. I think that would simplify the above steps a lot.

Sure, we can look into implementing something along those lines for a future version of Espionage, but actually in the event of a total restore from Time Machine even with the current version (and the steps I mentioned) everything should go smoothly.

If you perform a full restore, even if the disk images were in the parent folder, as long as Espionage's database is restored as well (and it will be in a full restore. The database is located at: ~/Library/Application Support/Espionage/database) then Espionage should recognize all folders and "fix them" by placing the disk images back where they belong.

fredct

So, is my understanding correct that the problem with Time Machine is two-fold:

One, that Epsionage moves the file when its locked/unlocked, so Time Machine will see it as a separate file and will back it up again when the state changes. And, two, that it can't use the Time Machine 'interface screen' to go back in time, since TM sees the folder as a(n invisible) disk image, and not as the separate files.

Is that right? Those would be okay with me because I plan to use Espionage solely to encrypt some financial info folders. It's not so large that the first one causes an issue. For the second, I use really only as an 'archive', that is, I just add things to it, I don't delete things or move things, and so I can't imagine needing to actually use the Time Machine interface to go back in time with it.

I just want it protected so that only I can see it, and I want it backed up so that if my data is ever lost, I can restore it as part of a full restore. Is there any problem doing a full restore from Time Machine on Espionage-controlled files? Or will that work as expected?

- Fred

greg

Quote from: "fredct"One, that Epsionage moves the file when its locked/unlocked, so Time Machine will see it as a separate file and will back it up again when the state changes. And, two, that it can't use the Time Machine 'interface screen' to go back in time, since TM sees the folder as a(n invisible) disk image, and not as the separate files.

Yes that sounds about right, but you can see the invisible disk image in Time Machine if you use a program like iVisible (as described in the help docs).

QuoteI just want it protected so that only I can see it, and I want it backed up so that if my data is ever lost, I can restore it as part of a full restore. Is there any problem doing a full restore from Time Machine on Espionage-controlled files? Or will that work as expected?

As mentioned above, a full restore should restore not only the folders/disk images, but Espionage's database at that point in time as well, therefore Espionage should detect those folders and properly set them up.

fredct

Thanks for your quick reply and for confirming the details! I will give Espionage a try shortly.