Encrypting an application

Started by Drew, January 19, 2010, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew

Hello---

First off, your program is awesome! posting.php?mode=post&f=6&sid=9326a01d178c072b029c1700bdf82f2e# It took me many hours to learn of your product and of your company's existence.....Crank up the marketing!!! :-)

I'm a new healthcare provider launching a solo private practice.  Security and confidentiality of my patients data is hugely important to me.

I am currently using Daylite as a practice management tool for my practice.  I will likely graduate to something else in the future, but for now, it is a very important GTD tool.  As such, there are notes and patient data contained in this database--or file references to their data in a separate folder (which will be encrypted).  I can secure the actual database (not the application) by going to where it's stored: ~/library/application support/daylite/Storage.dlpdb.  Additionally, the program backs up the DB to the following:  ~/library/application support/daylite/backup.   I was planning on securing the actual DB (Storage.dlpdb) as well as the backup folder.  

Dr. D--

My Question is this:  Do I need to also secure the actual application, Daylite, and if so, why?  I reviewed the literature online but am confused as to when you secure an application versus when you don't.  For example, I also use MS Word.  I was planning on securing the folders that contain patient information (e.g., progress notes, etc.).  But I wasn't planning on also securing Word, the application.  Can you advise?  In advance, many thanks!

greg

Hi Dr. D! We actually responded to your email inquiry as well, below is part of the response we sent:

> My Question is this:  Do I need to also secure the actual application, Daylite, and if so, why?

I can see how it's possible to get this impression from the wording on Espionage's homepage, so we've rewritten part of it to be more explicit regarding this.

In short, Espionage encrypts only application *data*, not applications themselves. Once that data is encrypted it should be associated with the application it belongs to, so that Espionage can seamlessly manage the relationship between the application and its encrypted data.

In other words, you should encrypt the Daylite application support folder and associate it with the Daylite application. The video on Espionage's homepage will show you how to do this, but also you can check Espionage's help documentation for the exact details:

<http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/EspionageHelp/pages/usg-applications.html>

We'll also go ahead and include Daylite as part of Espionage's built-in application templates in the next update to Espionage.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to send us a reply.

Best regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!