passwort-protect safari

Started by mstan, July 28, 2014, 02:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstan

Hey,
I am just looking for a way to passwort-protect Safari (so that Safari can not be startet without typing in a password). With Espionage 2, I used the application template option, which worked fine. But with Espionage 3, I do not get how to make this work... In a previous post (https://www.taoeffect.com/forum/index.php?topic=2531.msg5069#msg5069), you said that the folder actions were introduced for this purpose and that now I have to take care to add the folders related to app manually. However, I do not know which folders this would be. Can you help me with that?
Best,
Matthias

zsolt

Well, I cannot give you a straightforward answer because there is no documentation on this, so I can just guess.
Your home folder/Library/Safari surely contains some data if not most of it. The home folder/library/Application Support/Safari seems to be present as well. The there will be surely some safari config/pref files in your home folder/Library/Preferences...

There is a nice utility called fseventer (just google it) which will show you which files are read by which process. You can use it to determine what is safari reading on startup, make sure your mac is completely idle before you start as otherwise it will be difficult to read the output.

I would start with the first folder mentioned, just to keep the things simple.
I guess if you do not unlock the folder, Safari will start and create all the default files new, so do not worry if you see the same files again in the folder, even if the folder is locked in Espionage. However these should be empty.
Then you quit safari, and unlock the folder, then launch safari again and see if you got your data back.

I would as always, suggest a backup of your mac before doing this, or at least a copy of the folder you are adding to Espionage, before you a protect it.

Let me know how it went.

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support