sparsebundle size not large enough?

Started by jaireaux, November 27, 2014, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaireaux

I've encrypted a couple of folders, increased the size to 100 GB, and dropped 40 GB and 70 GB worth of files in them. Get Info shows the correct capacity used, but the sparsebundle all show 90-100 MB in size.

Should I be concerned about this? Where are the files being stored (and protected from being overwritten) if not in the sparsebundle?

zsolt

you have to differentiate size and capacity. In Espionage you can increase the capacity, the size will be adjusted automatically by the OS.
The get info shows in finder cannot show the capacity just the size, the info in Espionage shows both capacity and actual size on the disk.
Which one did you look at?

The size will be a bit bigger then the amount of data stored in the disk image, the capacity can be much larger.

So if you indeed stored 110 GB of data into it, then the size on the disk should be a bit more then that.
If it is not, then yes, something could be wrong.
I would copy the data out into a regular folder and then verify the size of the folder you copied into and compare.

Let me know how it went.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

jaireaux

The size for the two folders I was looking at were 40 GB and 70 GB. (The capacity for each was 100+ GB.) The size of the sparsebundles was 74 MB and 105 MB.

I'm guessing the problem was that I moved files into the folder from the command line (Terminal) using 'cp' after I increased their capacity.

I moved the files to new unencrypted folders using drag/drop in Finder -- and they recovered just fine -- and when I encrypted the folders, the sparsebundles were more appropriately sized.

zsolt

This is still very strange, because you cannot store 40GB into 74MB but as long as you got your data back, I guess, all is fine.
If you can reproduce this situation I would be interested to look into it in more detail, to understand better what was happening, so if you are willing to test it for me again, let me know.

Thanks and rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support