Upgrading to Lion 10.7.3 any precautions to take

Started by everest2022, March 01, 2012, 11:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

everest2022

I am currently running the current version of Espionage 2.8.13 in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I am ready to upgrade to Lion 10.7.3.
I am NOT planning on doing a clean install of Lion, just going to go through the upgrade process.  Are there any precautions I should take
before the upgrade process to insure a successful transition of Espionage to run in Lion 10.7.3?  Example: Should I unlock all of my encrypted
folders before running the upgrade process?  Uninstall Espionage and reinstall after upgrading to Lion?  Thanks in advance for your time.

zsolt

Hello,
this is what I found in one of the posts on this forum:

####
during operating system upgrades (and even "patches"), the OS X Software Update utility and the script it follows is going to presume a lot of things about your system. One of those might be that there be unencumbered access to files, folders, applications and a whole host of other things — some of which may be replaced outright by the upgrade. You really don't even know what applications may be run as a part of an upgrade. And for upgrades that require a reboot as part of the installation you can be assured that most applications will be quit before files are being moved, etc.

Not having all your folders for Apple's applications/utilities available to the upgrade may cause the upgrade to make assumptions and create new, empty replacements for them as the upgrade runs.
####

And I completely agree with it. OS X Installation assumes it has full rights on everything and Espionage could stand in the way here.
So yes, please unlock all folders by removing them from Espionage and then add them after upgrade again.

Hope this helps,
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

everest2022

Thank you for taking the time to research this.

zsolt

No prob, this is why I'm here for.
Good luck with upgrade, and backup, or even better, clone your disk before going for upgrade. Borrow an external USB of sufficient size, and download Carbon Copy Cloner, let it do a full clone, once done go ahead with upgrade. If anything goes bad, just boot from clone, and make another clone but this time from external to internal disk, and you are back to where you were before the upgrade.
It is faaaaar less stressful then fixing the things, and still does not limit you to try to fix them but if you fail to succeed then you just boot, clone and you are safe.
Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support