Restored encrypted file from Time Machine

Started by DAlex77, February 27, 2012, 07:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAlex77

Hello,

I restored a file that I encrypted from a Time Machine backup which I know the password for, but Espionage is asking for the master password and to my chagrin I have no clue of what it is.  When I put in the password for the folder in encrypted I get " Failed to mount image for '(File)' Check the log", and "Couldn't unlock '(File)' because image failed to mount". I tried to follow all of the reset instructions to no avail. Someone please tel me what am I doing wrong?

zsolt

Hello Alex,

When you navigate to the folder which should be encrypted, and you click on it, do you get asked for password, or you see three folder inside named
This folder contains encrypted data
It is controlled by Espionage
Do not modify it in this state
?

Do you see the normally hidden disk image which is named same as your folder name, but the name starts with dot?

Did you enable the backup of the folder in Espionage, because if you did, then we might be able to restore from there, if not,

Did you follow the restore procedure from Time Machine backup as described here (yes, I know, it looks rather complicated):
http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... chine.html

Can you please send me the diagnostic report as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=434

Please answer me as much as you can, and I will try to assist you further,

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

DAlex77

I do get the message "This folder contains encrypted data
It is controlled by Espionage
Do not modify it in this state
?"

In the folder when I restore. The only file I see with a dot  is ".espionageLock", ".stuff/sparsebundle", and ".DS_Store" (This is using the iVisible program)

At one time earlier today it asked for the password of the file(which I have BTW), but that's when I got that error I spoke of previously.

I still do not know my master password, but I sent over the zip file of my issue

Thanks so much

zsolt

Dear Forum reader, this post continued as a support ticker, once closed, I will post the outcome.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

So the story ended by restoring the folder from another instance of the time machine backup, because obviously the one we picked first time was not valid.
Remember that backing up the protected folders with Time Machine while the folder is unlocked might lead to inconsistent disk image and corrupted backup.
It is much better to exclude the protected folders from TM backup and enable Espionage backup.
This is making sure that your backups are valid.
All about it at http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... ackup.html

Cheers
Zsolt