Problem with Espionage 3 – File can not be locked!

Started by TEF, October 10, 2014, 04:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEF

Hello all together,

i have encrypted some files with Espionage 3.6. and while trying to lock the files everything works with the exception of one file.

Trying to lock this specific file, the following message occurs:

,,Critical warning! Locking failed: The procedure could not be finished. (OSStatus-Error -47.)."

How can the problem be solved?

Best regards!

zsolt

Hello, your post is not entirely clear. You say that that you encrypted some folders, but when you try to lock....

If you add a folder to Espionage, once the encryption is done, the folder will be locked. So if you successfully added some folders to Espionage, this means that the also successfully locked, at least once.

Also, you are referring to "locking a file", Espionage can lock only folders, not files...

I assume what you meant is this:
- you added a folder to espionage
- unlocked it
- added some more files into it, or opened some files from it
- after that you could not lock the folder any more, due to the -47 error

if my assumption is right, then probably the problem is file from the protected folder, being still open in some application, or held locked by some process, which prevents the folder locking due to "cannot eject volume, file busy" problem. This is the same as if you would stick in a USB stick, open a file from it, and then try to eject it.

So just try to close all the files and then try to lock the folder again.
If this repeats and you often cannot lock the folder without logout/reboot, then let me know and I will send you some terminal commands with which we can figure out what is keeping the file open.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

TEF

Hello Zsolt,

please apologize my unclear statements. Your assumption is correct. The error appears repeatedly.

Please, send me the commands as already signalized.

Best regards!

zsolt

lsof command will list all open files
grep command is used for filtering
in case wanting to know which files are open by Mail, I can put Mail as criteria for grep to filter, here is an example:

MacBookAir:~ macme$ lsof | grep Mail
SystemUIS  8925 macme  txt      REG                1,2    380069 3233963 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources/document.icns
mdworker  27337 macme    4r     REG                1,2     15364 6063211 /Users/macme/Library/Mail/V2/.DS_Store
mdworker  27339 macme  txt      REG                1,2     21488 7166495 /System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Mail

The first number is an unique process ID belonging to each active process running on your Mac. The ps -ef command will list all running processes. We can again filter using grep, but using process ID this time as filter, like

ps -ef | grep 27337

although some hint is already in the first column of the lsof output.
Once you know which process is locking the file, you might figure out why is that possible...

if you get stuck, past the output here and I'll try to help you further.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

TEF

Hello Zsolt,

i am not completely familiar with the terminal, so that I will now repeat the steps in the order as i have processed them.

After opening of the terminal i have opened via "Shell" an input field in order to  enter a new command. I have entered "MacBookAir:~macme$ Isof | grepMail", but i have replaced "MacBookAir" by the type of my computer and "Mail" by the affected program.

A window is opened that shows the name of my computer. Active processes of any kind are however not shown.

zsolt

Sorry, I know it is a bit tough, but just follow the instructions:

the prompt will be different, but that does not matter, once you open the terminal, just paste this

lsof | grep Mail

and send me the output. But do this only when you encounter the problem that you cannot lock the folder.
Alternatively we can make a remote session and I can help you out.
If you are interested in this, mail me at taoeffect@macmesupport.com

Rgds
Zsolt