Moving/backup of a encrypted folder

Started by Euchrow, June 13, 2012, 11:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euchrow

Hello,

Espionage 3 looks like a fine piece of software. A few questions though.

- How do I move or backup the encrypted folder ? When locked, the folder's contents are not visible on the finder level

- on my mac, the OS and apps are installed on a SSD. Data is on a second HD. If for one reason I have to reinstall the OS (and also Espionage 3), how do I get access to the encrypted folders ?

All this is possible with an encrypted DMG created with Disk Utility, so I suppose it should also be possible through ESP3

thx

zsolt

Dear Euchrow,

when you encrypt a folder with Espionage there are two paths which define the encrypted folder:
- first is the path to the folder which you encrypted, this is called mount point 
- second is the path to the disk image which contains the encrypted data. If you encrypt a folder on your local drive then this path is by default your Library/Application Support/Espionage/Data folder, and it is set for you automatically. However, if you encrypt a folder from your external disk then Espionage will ask you to set this path too (because it does not know in which folder do you want to store the disk image, and it does not make sense to store it on your internal disk).

Once the encryption is done, these two paths are stored in the Espionage database.
In case you move (or delete) the mount point folder, Espionage will complain on next start or when you try to unlock the folder with red "mount point missing" message.
If you move (less likely delete) the disk image, then Espionage will complain that the disk image is missing.
In both cases you have a choice to locate it, just click on the mountpoint drop down menu or disk image drop down menu, and locate it for Espionage.

So important is to backup the disk image and the Espionage database (this is in Library/Application Support/Espionage), so if you backup the Library/Application Support/Espionage you are set, except for the folders for which the disk image is outside default path...

I hope this helps...

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

gasport

I have a question.  Just trying my new V3 of Espionage.  I created a sparsebundle on an external HD and copied files into it.   As far as I can tell, I have three locations or folders.  The original folder contains the folder/files I wanted to Encrypt, the second is the MountPoint folder,  and the third is the sparsebundle.

The Mountpoint or encrypted folder contents are only visible when I unlock the sparsebundle using the slider.  I think I have it to this point, but you lost me where you talk about the Espionage database.   What and where is this located on my Mac?   Secondly, you talk about backing up the Espionage Database in the Library/Application Support/Espionage folder.   I checked and I do not have any Espionage folder in my Application Support folder in the Library.  I have no idea why it isn't there other than the fact I am using an external HD, but that makes no sense.  So what is going on and where would my Espionage Database be?

zsolt

Hello, the Espionage database is not something you need to worry about, except from backup standpoint.
Since the version 3.0.1 the folders is named com.taoeffect.espionage3, it is not Espionage any more.

As I wrote in my previous post, if you encrypt a folder on your boot disk then it will store the disk image in that folder too (in subfolder Data) but in case of folder on external drive it will ask you to specify the location.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

gasport

So it is....  Thanks, I can rest well tonight.