Uninstall Espionage 3 "iSpy" Error?

Started by mas11262, October 30, 2014, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mas11262

I have a Mac Power Book running Yosemite (OS 10.10). I previously had a version of Espionage 2 which I had uninstalled, but the application left the Espionage "lock" image on my top menu items listing. I tried to download version 3, install and then unistall it which I thought would fix the problem. The good news is that the manual uninstall (dragging Espionage to the trash, then reboot) took the original Espionage 2 "lock" image off of my Menu Items at the top. Unfortunately now everytime I reboot the computer I get this error message "Error- Couldn't establish communications with iSpy. Error 1. Try restarting your computer and/or running Espionage. EspionageHelper will quit now." Please see this URL for a screenshot of this error message:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/marcsalerno/EspionageErrorNotice.jpg

Any help would be appreciated- Marc

zsolt

Hello Marc,
The reason your are getting the error is because Espionage 2 did not uninstall completely.
You can fix this by manually deleting the files, here is a list:

Note that some files are in your home Library folder and some in your root Library folder. Your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, hold down the option key and select Library from the list of "places to go".:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
/System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
/Library/iSpy
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

This is for version 2, version 3 is much simpler, you just quit it and trash it, although I hope you will not do that :-)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

mas11262

Thanks Zsolt,

I followed your instructions and went thru all Library files. Most of your listed files I had already deleted. Based on your instructions, I found one last file "iSPY.kext" and dragged it to the trash. I left it in the trash and rebooted. Unfortunately the same error popped again. What should I do now? Please help!

zsolt

Obviously something is still there. If you wish we can make a remote session right away and I can look into it.
Mail me at taoeffect@macmesupport.com if you wish to do it.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

mas11262

Dear zsolt,

I'm a long time Mac user but have always had "Finder" usage problems. After I posted this last post, I was still trying to play around and used the "Go" Menu at the top to access the Library and found the 2nd set of files you posted in your list. So sorry for the confusion. I rebooted and all is well. Your fixed worked! Next time, please "dumb down" your Finder access and usage instructions so us "rookies" can quickly access and find what you're referencing. THANKS!!!

zsolt

It is what usually happens, because there are 3 Library folders on Mac, the /Libray the /System/LIbrary and the home folder/LIbrary and sometimes users mix these up, but I'm glad you figure it out.

Enjoy using Espionage 3 and let me know if you ever get stuck or have some questions or ideas.

Rgds
Zsolt