Sync Data folder using chronsync

Started by socrates, January 16, 2014, 01:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socrates

Hi

Can I sync the ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 between two macs using a program such as chronsync?

I want to keep all the disk images in sync on both macs. If it is possible should the images be locked or unlocked at the time of sync?

If this is not advisable, is it better to move the disk images to a different folder on my mac and then sync that folder?
A related question, are there any disadvantages to storing the disk images in a location other than the Data folder?

greg

Quote from: socrates on January 16, 2014, 01:57:28 PMCan I sync the ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 between two macs using a program such as chronsync?

I want to keep all the disk images in sync on both macs. If it is possible should the images be locked or unlocked at the time of sync?

Yes, it's possible, provided that you do it one of two ways:

Option 1:

• Make sure both folders are locked before you sync.
  • Sync only in one direction. Do *NOT* do a bi-directional sync!
Option 2:

• Make sure both folders are unlocked before you sync.
  • Sync the unlocked folder contents, *NOT* the disk images! You can do bi-directional syncs with this option.
QuoteA related question, are there any disadvantages to storing the disk images in a location other than the Data folder?

Not really, unless you place them in a folder where they will be automatically and incorrectly synced by some other application.

Oh, also, do not store them on a network mounted volume. External drives are OK, network mounts can be very slow and potentially result in problems.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

socrates

Thanks,

Is it better to sync files in the mounted volume when they are unlocked? Would this allow bidirectional sync to take place?
Or is bidirectional sync to be avoided at all times?
Does dropbox handle things better?

What does the folder Temp in Data contain? It is present on one computer but not the other

greg

Quote from: socrates on January 17, 2014, 03:52:32 AMIs it better to sync files in the mounted volume when they are unlocked? Would this allow bidirectional sync to take place?

Ah, I forgot about this option. Yes, you can do a bi-directional sync on the unlocked folder contents (I've edited my previous reply to reflect this).

This will probably be slower though, because the operating system has to encrypt and decrypt the data as it's being copied.

QuoteDoes dropbox handle things better?

Dropbox does not handle things better, but you can use it, just follow these instructions.

QuoteWhat does the folder Temp in Data contain? It is present on one computer but not the other

Nothing of value, you can ignore it. It's just used by Espionage during initial folder encryption to host temporary folder mountpoints. It doesn't actually contain any data.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!