importing sparsebundle into Esp 3 fails to recognize old password

Started by lkobzik, October 26, 2013, 08:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkobzik

I have followed the nice instructions on the newly released pdf, and all went well until I tried to import the sparsebundle folder leftover from Esp 2 into Esp 3. I was asked for the password, but entering the one that used to open the folder in Esp 2 produces an incorrect password error message.

Any suggestions?
thanks

greg

Quote from: lkobzik on October 26, 2013, 08:16:51 PM
I have followed the nice instructions on the newly released pdf, and all went well until I tried to import the sparsebundle folder leftover from Esp 2 into Esp 3. I was asked for the password, but entering the one that used to open the folder in Esp 2 produces an incorrect password error message.

Any suggestions?
thanks

Did you already double-click on the disk image and enter your password for it? I think it might be possible that it will give you an error if it's already mounted. If that's the case, you'll need to eject/unmount it (by dragging the volume—not the disk image—to the trash, it should turn into an Eject icon when you do that).

If you haven't already mounted it, then try double-clicking on the disk image. You should be prompted for your password by the system. If the password you enter there works, it will mount, and you'll see it on your Desktop (if you have invisible items showing as per the instructions in the document). Then you can try (at least for that folder), the manual restoration and re-encryption instructions.

Either way, let us know what the case was. We're not aware of any bugs in Espionage 3 related to importing disk images.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

lkobzik

Thanks, a happy ending.

I first tried 'unmounting' by moving the sparsebundle file to the trash and nothing happened.
I tried double clicking and the icon seem to expand but there was no corresponding file in the desktop list seen on my finder.

However, when I used the 3rd party app PathFinder to look at my files, there was indeed a mounted disk matching the name of my sparsebundle file. This was not visible on my Finder window for some reason (I did use the iVisible and, later, the Cloak programs, but this part remains a mystery to me.(Postscript, mystery solved: I had the Devices listing on the regular finder window on "Hide" so big surprise it was hidden, self-slap to forehead here)... Anyhow once I dismounted via Pathfinder, the rest of your instructions worked perfectly.

Thank you.