Help: Autolock of folder fails to quit application (folder action)

Started by ptadolphus, July 31, 2013, 10:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptadolphus

Hi, I'm using trial version 3.5 on MacOS 10.8.4.  In General preferences I've set Espionage Autolock to "enable" and "1 minute"; I've also set Default Folder Autolock Time to "3 minutes".  (These times are short so I can test; when I get things working, I'll make these times longer.)  In Espionage, I've created a single test folder containing a folder which contains a Microsoft Word document.  In this folder's settings, I've set one folder action to quit Microsoft Word.app;  I've also set the folder's auto-lock to "after: 3 minutes". 

I know that the folder action is set correctly because I:
1. Unlock Espionage
2. Unlock the test folder
3. Start Microsoft Word and open a Word document in the test folder.
4. Make edits to the Word document but do not save them.
5. Back in Espionage I click the slider to manually lock the test folder.
6. Word icon in the dock starts bouncing and asks if I want to save document.
7. Espionage tells me it failed to lock folder because Word failed to Quit.
8. I save the document in Word.
9. Back in Espionage I click the slider to manually lock the test folder.
10. This time Word quits and the folder locks.

However, autolock of the folder does not trigger the folder action to quit word, when I:
1. Unlock Espionage
2. Unlock the test folder
3. Start Microsoft Word and open a Word document in the test folder.
4. Make edits to the Word document but do not save them.
5. Let the computer sit without typing or moving the mouse.
6. After 1 minute Espionage autolocks the application, as expected, and displays a notice that this happened. 
7. After three minutes, Espionage auto-locks the folder but Word keeps running, without trying to Quit.
8. This leaves Word open with unsaved changes to a document on the now-locked folder.  OH NO!

This folder autolock folder action failure happens whether I set the folder autolock to "after: 3 minutes" or to "Global setting".

Please help me figure out how to get folder autolock to work with this one folder action to quit Word.

Thank you,
Tom

zsolt

Hello Tom, this problem was already reported to us, I will check the status with the dev team and let you know when can we expect a fix.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

ptadolphus

Thanks @zsolt,
I'm holding off on purchasing Espionage 3 until the folder autolock and folder actions work together.  Any word on when this bug will be fixed?

Thanks,
Tom

zsolt

It is already fixed, but the release is not out yet as we want some more stuff to be in it. I'm sorry for making you wait.
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

ptadolphus

Espionage 3.5.2 fixes this bug.  I've run the test I described in my original post and 3.5.2 correctly locks only when the folder action is completed successfully.