Login Items issue AGAIN

Started by tylerstringer, August 09, 2010, 03:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerstringer

I cannot open Espionage and saw the post about deleting the non icon login items and then it will open but if I delete those, won't that affect other things I use and need?  Is there not another way?  Can I download the new version and just reinstall?  If I delete those login items it will affect other things I sue.  Please help and thanks.

greg

Hi tylerstringer, I received your PM with this message and replied to it.

I'll post my reply here as well:

QuoteHi tylerstringer,

Which version of Espionage are you trying to open, and why won't it open? What is the error that you get?

Best regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

tylerstringer

it's version 2.8 and I am trying to open it to upgrade it.  The error I get is a known Mac error:  see Forum:  viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138
it says: "Timed Out
The request to get the list of login items timed out.
Try re-running Espionage after waiting a few seconds."

In the other forum topic it says to delete the non-icon login items but I don't want to do that because I need those login items.

thanks for your help.

greg

Some of those items might not actually be doing anything because they're likely missing. You can check this by right-clicking on the item in the list and selecting "Reveal in Finder". If it doesn't reveal the item it's safe to remove it (it's not being launched anyway because it doesn't exist).

tylerstringer

Nope.  All there.  I already did the finder reveal having that same thought.  They are all items I use.  Thank you for responding.  Any other ideas?

greg

Yes, you can manually update Espionage fairly easily (I probably should have mentioned this earlier):

• Move your current copy of Espionage to the trash.
  • Download the latest version (2.8.3 as of now) from our site.
  • Copy it out of the disk image and into your /Applications folder
  • Run the new copy.
  • After it runs, open up the login items again and remove EspionagerHelper from them if it's still there.

Cheers,
Greg, Tao Effect

tylerstringer

Okay,  Did that.  Do I not need the EspionageHelper anymore...

Also when I try to open my protected folder it doesn't do anything but give me this...

This folder contains encrypted data
 It is controlled by Espionage
Do not modify it in this state

Please help because I cannot get into my protected folder...

thanks for all your help

greg

That can happen for a variety of reasons. Check to make sure:

• The folder is in Espionage (if it's not, drag it onto Espionage to re-add it).
  • The Enabled checkbox for the folder is checked in Espionage.
  • The Finder is not on Espionage's Ignore List.
  • Espionage's helper is running (check Espionage's General preferences, and see if you see the little Espionage icon in the menubar).

P.S. We received all of the messages you sent us, it is not necessary to contact us via multiple contact points, one will do. I'll continue to reply here for now, unless you'd prefer an alternative contact point (i.e. email).

tylerstringer

ok number #1 worked.  Thank you.  Sorry for the multiple message paths, I panicked!  Thanks again.

greg

Glad everything worked out. :-)