Questions and an observation...

Started by mayersj1, November 19, 2009, 01:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayersj1

Hello,

First, the observation.  Espionage is now at version 2.5.4, yet the help still references 2.5.2.  Just thought you'd like to know.

Now, the first question.  In the preferences there is a setting for "Path Finder Compatibility".  What exactly does this do?

Second question.  When I have backups enabled, exactly how are the backups stored?  Are there a set number of backups kept or is it just an ongoing backup of the current state of the configured folders?

Thanks!

Steve

greg

Quote from: "mayersj1"Hello,

First, the observation.  Espionage is now at version 2.5.4, yet the help still references 2.5.2.  Just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks!

QuoteNow, the first question.  In the preferences there is a setting for "Path Finder Compatibility".  What exactly does this do?

It makes Espionage play nicely with a setup where the user's primary file manager is Path Finder. Some of the things it does includes preventing running certain Finder-specific scripts, and modifying the behavior of some of the menu items in Espionage's menulet.

QuoteSecond question.  When I have backups enabled, exactly how are the backups stored?  Are there a set number of backups kept or is it just an ongoing backup of the current state of the configured folders?

There backups are done at a certain time increment as set in the preferences if the backup destination is available (and on an individual folder basis if "upon locking folder" is set). Only a single-set of backups is maintained, this allows Espionage to backup only the changed files and not the entire folder. You can get a backup history going by having Time Machine backup Espionage's backups.

Much more info is available in its manual!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

mayersj1

Greg,

Thanks for the answers.  So if I only use Path Finder intermittantly, I shouldn't turn on the compatibility mode, correct?

Steve

greg

Steve,

I would answer with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If everything is working fine for you with the compatibility mode off, there's no need to turn it on. It's really for users who *only* want to use Path Finder and completely forsake the Finder.

Cheers,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!