Suggestion: Help after Application association is gone

Started by Manaburner, May 29, 2012, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manaburner

Hi there,

as in v3, there's no longer a way to use application associations, I would prefer that you help the users to "locate the folder that has the application data in it ", as you write in the blog entry. At least in my case, I find it difficult to look for where an application has its data.

So my suggestion is that, if you drag and drop an application onto the menubar icon (as you would do to encrypt a regular folder), you should offer to encrypt the application's data folder. Optionally followed by the prompt that it could lead to problems when the application's folder is located in the library folder. Of course this requires the here mentioned override (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=583) to be available.

Thanks

Regards,
Michael

greg

Michael, we'd be happy to, but this is opening up a can of worms, part of the reason why we chose to remove this feature. Some applications have many folders that they depend upon. Some apps depend on 3 or 4 folders (like Safari I think), with the way v3 works, users would have to manually unlock all 3 folders before running the app, and with v2 it works fine, but there are compatibility issues with Lion, specifically with its sandboxing feature (possibly) and its auto-start feature. We've just decided to throw all the headache away and recommend that users use FileVault with Espionage if they want to protect application data.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

Manaburner

Hi Greg,

I understand.
But then, what reason do I have to use Espionage, when I use FileVault? I mean it encrypts the whole disk so I've nothing to worry about, right?

Regards,
Michael

greg

Quote from: "Manaburner"I understand.
But then, what reason do I have to use Espionage, when I use FileVault? I mean it encrypts the whole disk so I've nothing to worry about, right?

I gave a few reasons here.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!