Progress bar never gets above 10%

Started by tylerstringer, March 18, 2014, 06:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerstringer

I am trying to lock an 83gb folder.  I switch the lock button and the folder progress bar gets to 8.3 gbs and never gets any farther.  It just remains there pulsing.  Please help...

zsolt

Hello, do you have 90GB free disk space on the disk you are trying to encrypt the folder on?
If you do, can you instead of this big folder, try to protect one smaller folder, just for test?
If that works, do you have an external disk with 90GB free? If you do, please try to copy that big folder over to external disk, and then try to protect that folder, as target folder for the disk image you can select either the same external disk or your internal one, up to you.
If that encryption finishes well, then let me know and we will move the things so that you end up as you wanted initially.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

tylerstringer

I tried a small folder with 1.9 mbs....  It does a similar thing.  It says "1.49 mb of 10.74 gb used"  and just shows a smaller % of a different progress bar in a second pane under the original in progress pane I posted about...  I can get to both folders but it just seems unfinished and I am worried that at some point I will not be able to get to them...  The second one is only a test so doesn't matter of course.

Thank you for your help so far!

tylerstringer

Oh and I have almost 1500gb of free space so space isn't an issue.

zsolt

Thanks for your test, I think it will be better if we do a remote session, we might save some time.
I will be available 8 hours from now, not all the time though, so if you are available, just mail me directly at taoeffect@macmesupport.com and we connect and I take a look into that, if it is OK with you.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

Just to other forum readers, in case the stumble upon this: the progress bar under the folder name in main Espionage window, is showing the progress of you filling up the available space in the protected folder.
When you protect a folder, the capacity (not size) of the disk image created to contain the protected data is around 10 times the size of the folder you originally protected. So upon encryption this progress bar will show 10% used capacity.
If you add some more data into it, the progress bar will move.

But this bar has nothing to do with the progress of the folder being encrypted. Once the folder appear in the list, and you can unlock/lock it, you are done with the encryption and your original data is moved into the trash.

Rgds
Zsolt

tylerstringer

Thank you again for this answer!  Another quick q.  Can you DECREASE the capacity of the folder...  10x seems like a lot to over predict...  This folder of mine won't get any bigger than it already is...   Thanks.  I know you can adjust to INCREASE but there is no way to decrease?

zsolt

Hello, you have to differentiate between capacity of the disk image and size of the disk image.
The sparse bundle disk images have the feature that they can expand if needed as you copy data into them.
But the size of the disk image on the disk is just a bit larger then the amount of data it contains.
You can get both he infos when you click onto "i" near the folder name, and then click on "adjust folder size" there you will see both the capacity and the size of the disk image.
In short, there is no need to decrease the capacity.

I hope this helps
Zsolt

tylerstringer