Mounting Locations

Started by otreel, November 16, 2014, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otreel

Hi,

Just downloaded espionage because I found out that TrueCrypt is now unsupported. I am new to this format and have some questions. In TrueCrypt you opened the software and mounted a file which would show up as an image in your finder. In Espionage you have to chose a mounting location. This is confusing when I am trying to host the file on dropbox. All I had to do with TrueCrypt was have the software and dropbox installed on the other computer and then copy and paste the password from my password program and walla, a disk image would show up with the files. When Espionage mounts the folder I see two of the same folder because I am mounting to the desktop. Why do I see two folders. Why does there have to be two folders? Should I make a folder somewhere called "Mount" and have all things mount from this folder? Of course this sounds ridiculous to me so I am pretty sure I am wrong. Thank you for your time.

zsolt

Hello,

Espionage works with disk image as data container and mount point as folder through which disk image content is shown.
By default the disk image is stored in your home/Library folder and the mount point folder becomes the folder which you protect (we move the original data into trash upon successful encryption, leaving the folder empty and using it as mounpoint)

In case of Dropbox I suggest you first prepare all outside of dropbox and then move the things in proper place.

First move your folder you want to protect out of the Dropbox.
Then you add this folder to Espionage
- espionage will create the disk image and make your folder empty
- now click onto small "i" near the folder name in Espionage and with disk image drop down menu, select your Drobox as location for the disk image, this will move the disk image from your home folder/Library into Dropbox
- (as you are already there, click onto copy password button and paste this password into some text file, we will need it later)
- you should leave the mount point folder outside of Dropbox, just leave it where it was
- now you should be able to unlock the folder and the disk image should be synced to the cloud
- lock the folder

On the other mac, you have to create an empty folder, which will become a mount point (again, keep it out of the Dropbox)

now install Espionage, unlock it and drag the disk image from the dropbox onto Espionage main window
it should ask you for the password, now paste the password you pasted above into the text file
if the password is OK, it will ask you to pick the mount point folder, pick the one you just created
this should be it, you should be able to unlock the folder on the second mac too...

#######
make sure you never leave the folder unlocked on one mac, when trying to unlock it on the second mac, the folder has to be unlocked only on one mac

I guess you know this, but data protected in this way will not be accessible in the dropbox web interface, for dropbox the disk image looks like a folder with some bad files in it.

If you need to access the data in the web interface too, then let me know, there is another service we can give a try.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

otreel

Ok, I think I am getting the hang of the UI but now I am curious as to what espionage is doing in the beginning. Is it taking free space from my hard drive and encrypting whats left of the free space and then allowing me to use that space to lock folders? I need to understand this.

DROPBOX:

How am I supposed to identify the disk images on another computer if the they are randomized letters and numbers.? I only ask this for the future when say I do go with espionage and have multiple locked folders on dropbox. If it is not an option or not wise to rename these disk images then I would assume you would then tell me to have one disk image and place all sensitive folders and files in just one disk image? That sounds ok to me.

I am interested in what you said about accessing them online with just say an iPad or phone? Would that be possible?

Once again thank you for your patience.

zsolt

Espionage is using disk images to store protected data, and only disk images, there is no mystery behind.
What it does at the beginning is it creates some random number and size disk image to avoid the possibility of somebody determining the number of protected folders by counting the number of disk images, it has to do with folder sets, another concept Espionage implements.

Dropbox: if you click on small "i" near the folder name, on the folder info screen the disk image drop down menu will show you to which disk image name is the folder connected.

For the online access, we had some very brief tests with tresorit, if you are interested mail me directly at taoeffect@macmesupport.com and I will give you more details.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support