Invalid password on El Capitan

Started by nycwino, March 21, 2016, 10:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycwino

I just got a new apple laptop running El Capitan, and cannot open my Dropbox-stored encrypted file on the new laptop.  I have two other computers running the same version of espionage but different versions of OS X, and they have no problem opening the same disk image.  When I enter the password on the new computer (OS10.11.3, Espionage 3.6.5), I drag the disk image to espionage, enter the correct password, and repeatedly get an invalid password error.   On either older computer (OS10.10.5, Espionage 3.6.5), it works fine on the same disk image stored on dropbox. 

I tried changing the disk image password from the older computer, so see if this would get it unstuck on the new computer.  No dice.

Disk image was definitely unmounted in between attempts on different computers, with dropbox allowed to update.

How can I get Espionage working on El Capitan with this disk image?  Anybody else having this problem?

zsolt

Can you please try to copy the disk image onto the new mac and then import it into Espioage in that way, just as a test, to see if that will work.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

nycwino

Sorry, I got impatient and restored the disk image on the old computer to regular files on an external drive, then encrypted them into a new sparse bundle on the new computer, where it works fine.  Haven't had a chance to check compatibility between new computer and old computers with new sparse bundle.  But will report back when I do.

Joost

Same issue, main password does not get recognised after updating. How do you uninstall Espionage? I do not see anything espionage related in the library folder

zsolt

Hello,

Is it that you cannot unlock Espionage after upgrade, or is it that you cannot unlock the folder protected by Espionage?

As for uninstalling, with Espionage 3 there are no background processes only the application itself, so to uninstall it, simply trash the application. However if you want to delete the data too then you need to delete the /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 folder.

Note that your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, click onto "Go" menu, hold down the option key and select Library from the menu list.

To reset Espionage and start from scratch, you just rename (or delete) the aforementioned folder and launch Espionage, it will recognise the missing folder and run you through setup again.

However, I'm interested what went wrong because you are the second who reports this problem (although, if that would be a general problem, I would expect much more reports), and so far I did not get any further details on this. So would you be so kind to answer the first question.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Joost

Solved the issue by buying "app cleaner", that really made the program disappear, and gave me the chance to do a clean reinstall.

zsolt

Hello, I'm glad you are set now, but as I mentioned, the app cleaner very probably deleted the folder I mentioned. And we did not learn nothing new about the problem, just started from scratch, but the most important thing is that you are fine now and can start to work again.

If you have any further questions, just let me know

Rgds
Zsolt