Decrease folder capacity?

Started by tracedef, November 05, 2013, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracedef

Hiya,

I'm aware of how to reclaim unused space in a vault, but is there a way to decrease overall folder size? So if a vault is using 35 gb of 325 gb vault, is there any way to reduce the 325 gb size of the vault?  Thanks for your feedback!

greg

Click on the "Adjust folder size" button (in the info view of a folder).

Espionage will tell you how much space the folder is actually using on disk (it's only the capacity if the folder is completely full). It'll also let you "reclaim unused space", and if you want, adjust the capacity (although this tends to be unnecessary).

You probably want the "reclaim unused space" button.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

tracedef

The only option for adjusting capacity is to increase it ... which is why I posted, I am not given an option to decrease .... ... I've already reclaimed size ... there's none left to reclaim.

greg

Quote from: tracedef on November 05, 2013, 10:50:18 AM
The only option for adjusting capacity is to increase it ... which is why I posted, I am not given an option to decrease .... ... I've already reclaimed size ... there's none left to reclaim.

Why do you want to decrease the capacity? It won't save much space relative to the capacity itself. We didn't think anyone would need to do that so I'm curious.

tracedef

Was concerned that extra space might be used against total disk space available for use for computer as a whole .... Doesn't look like that's the case though?

greg

Quote from: tracedef on November 08, 2013, 12:44:41 PM
Was concerned that extra space might be used against total disk space available for use for computer as a whole .... Doesn't look like that's the case though?

The capacity size affects the size of the disk image only slightly.

As an example, an empty folder with a 10GB capacity will take up ~74MB on the drive.
Increasing the capacity to 100GB makes the empty folder take up ~93MB on the drive.

tracedef

Perfect, thanks for the clarification!

pulpdoctor

So just to clarify, even though Espionage reports that the CAPACITY as being--using greg's example--10 GB, if the files contained within that protected folder only amounted to 3 GB the folder size would only be 3.74 GB (or is it 3.074 GB?).

More importantly, even though the CAPACITY is a certain amount, that amount is not the ACTUAL size of the protected folder unless it is completely full. In other words, and again using greg's example, a protected folder with a capacity of 100GB does not occupy that amount of the hard drive. Instead, it occupies the size of the files contained in the folder plus a small amount for what I will call housekeeping, i.e, ~93MB for  100GB folder?

zsolt

Yes, correct.
Capacity is capacity, i.e how much data can be pasted into the disk image,
and size is size, ie. how big is the disk image on the disk.

The size will be always a bit larger then the actual amount of data inside the folder, this is metadata info the disk image has to keep around to make it's job.

The capacity is automatically set for you at the time of the folder encryption, and it is calculated as 10 times more then the amount of data you want to initially protect.

Most of the time you do not need to bother with this at all, and you leave it all for Espionage to handle.

Let me know if you have any further doubts.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support