[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Tao Effect Forums • View topic - Is it possible to use applescripts with encrypted apps?

Is it possible to use applescripts with encrypted apps?

General discussion about Espionage 2.

Is it possible to use applescripts with encrypted apps?

Postby steven » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 pm

steven

Re: Is it possible to use applescripts with encrypted apps?

Postby greg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:03 am

Hi Steven,

The only problem here is if Mail's folder is locked. If the folder is unlocked, then whether Mail is running or not does not matter (if the "tell application id "com.apple.mail"" launches mail if it's not already running).

To get this to work first make sure that the script is saved as an "Application Bundle":

Then add it to Mail's application associations, and uncheck "Lock on Quit":

Make sure that it's not run upon login by any means. If you need it to run at login, then set the "Launch at Login" option for the association in Espionage.

This means that if the script is launched and Mail isn't running, you'll be prompted to enter the password for Mail's folder, Espionage will unlock the folder, and only after the folder is unlocked will it actually allow the script to be run.

Note: I haven't tested your script to check to see if it will launch the Mail app automatically, if it doesn't do this then you'll need to write some code to first launch Mail, wait until it fully launches, and then tell it to do stuff.
Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby steven » Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Thank you very much Greg! I must admit I haven't tried this yet but I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think as soon as I have some free time to tinker with this. MY objective is to be able to have my script run automatically via launchd, say every 10min to let me know if I have new email, but I still want to prevent anyone from launching mail.app without entering a password. I don't care if it's not 100% secure, just a basic extra level of password-prompt to prevent a quick "prying eye" from taking a peak at mail.app.
steven

Postby greg » Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 pm

No problem, but if you want the script to run every 10 minutes then I would make sure that it checks to see if Mail is running before attempting to ask it for anything, otherwise you'll get the password prompt.

Also, if you *really* don't care about someone getting access to your email and only want to prevent say, a sister from seeing what's in there, then you can set Espionage to not use any encryption for Mail's folder, in which case you won't need to setup application associations for it. The application associations are a method of allowing Espionage to delay the launch of an application while it decrypts (mounts) the application's data.
Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Return to Espionage 2