[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Tao Effect Forums • View topic - Backup strategy

Backup strategy

General discussion about Espionage 2.

Backup strategy

Postby socrates » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi
I'm new to espionage and liking it very much so far. However, a little confused by backups etc.
Prior to espionage, I was backing up with both Time Machine & SuperDuper to separate hard drives on a once daily basis. I have read the backing up to Time Machine post but still have a few questions....

Is the main issue with Time Machine backups due to the locked/unlocked state of the relevant folder? For example, are there any disadvantages to using Time Machine to continue with backing up as usual, if the relevant folder is in the same state each time?

Does SuperDuper also handle things the same way?

What are the disadvantages to using the built in backup in espionage?
Can I backup to the same physical drives that I'm backing up to with TimeMachine and SuperDuper?

Thanks
socrates

Re: Backup strategy

Postby greg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby socrates » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm

socrates

Postby greg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Backup strategy

Postby socrates » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for your reply.

One more question. Will i be able to access different versions of a document that has been encrypted with espionage and backed up directly to Time Machine (with the relevant folder in the same locked state each time)?

Would it just be a case of unlocking the folder with espionage and then going back through the Time Machine history to select/restore the relevant document? Or is it more complicated than that?
socrates

Postby greg » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:58 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Backup strategy

Postby socrates » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi
Thanks for the response. Still trying to get my head round the whole backup/restore possibilities.

You mentioned above that I could set Dropbox to be the backup destination of the espionage built in backup facility. Will this be secure? I read in that Dropbox does not provide end-to-end encryption. Will this be an issue if I just set the backup destination of espionage backups to be my dropbox folder?

I have quite a lot of space on my mobileme idisk, can I set this to be the backup destination?
socrates

Postby greg » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:13 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby socrates » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi

Sorry to bring this up again....

Can the backup destination (for espionage's built in backups) be on the main internal Macbook hard drive- i.e. the one where the Espionage folders are located in the first place?

Just wondering if I could do the above, and then ask TimeMachine to backup my hard drive- excluding my espionaged folders but including the espionage backups? Or will this cause problems?

Also, do the espionage backups take up the same size as the sparsebundle or are they the size that the sparsebundle might grow to (i.e the maximum size)
socrates

Postby greg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Return to Espionage 2