[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Tao Effect Forums • View topic - Espionage and the Time Maschine problem

Espionage and the Time Maschine problem

General discussion about Espionage 2.

Espionage and the Time Maschine problem

Postby dada » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Hello,

I think Espionage is a good program, but im am a bit disappointed, that there are these problems with time maschine, despite the sparse-bundle images are really useful for the backups.

Therefore i want to ask: It is somehow possible to prevent these moving of the images every time?
I fully understand, that the behaviour now is really staightforward when copying oder backuping the encrypted folders in the locked state.

But e.g. when i encrypt my Mail folder in Application Support, i do'nt really care, if the image is saved in the Mail folder in the locked state, or remains in the parent folder.

Perhaps it is possible to include this behaviour as an option in a newer version?
Because then Time Maschine can backup the encrypted disk image and when the folder is unlocked, Time Maschine only backups an alias and not the decrypted data itself (as far as i have tested).

What do you mean about that idea?
dada

Re: Espionage and the Time Maschine problem

Postby greg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby dada » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 am

dada

Postby greg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby fredct » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 pm

So, is my understanding correct that the problem with Time Machine is two-fold:

One, that Epsionage moves the file when its locked/unlocked, so Time Machine will see it as a separate file and will back it up again when the state changes. And, two, that it can't use the Time Machine 'interface screen' to go back in time, since TM sees the folder as a(n invisible) disk image, and not as the separate files.

Is that right? Those would be okay with me because I plan to use Espionage solely to encrypt some financial info folders. It's not so large that the first one causes an issue. For the second, I use really only as an 'archive', that is, I just add things to it, I don't delete things or move things, and so I can't imagine needing to actually use the Time Machine interface to go back in time with it.

I just want it protected so that only I can see it, and I want it backed up so that if my data is ever lost, I can restore it as part of a full restore. Is there any problem doing a full restore from Time Machine on Espionage-controlled files? Or will that work as expected?

- Fred
fredct

Postby greg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 am

Follow for news!
greg
Tao Effect Support

Postby fredct » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks for your quick reply and for confirming the details! I will give Espionage a try shortly.
fredct

Return to Espionage 2